As a foreigner or tourist, seeking out visitor’s insurance in Canada may be an uphill task. This article briefly highlights the top cheapest visitor insurance available in Canada.
Cheapest visitor insurance available in Canada
1. SafeVisit Visitor Insurance in Canada
SafeVisit Visitors to Canada insurance is available for the following categories of people:
- Visiting friends and relatives,
- Landed immigrants or returning Canadians waiting for provincial health coverage, and
- Individuals in Canada on a work or student visa.
SafeVisit product plan also covers side trips to any country in the world (to an overall maximum of 30 days) except the individual’s country of origin. Although, it is required that you spend at least 51% of your overall insured period in Canada and you have no gaps in your coverage to enjoy the benefit of side trips. If you purchase SafeVisit Visitors to Canada insurance before arrival in Canada, and your policy effective date is the same as your arrival date, there will be no waiting period for sickness coverage. In many circumstances, provision is made for coverage during your uninterrupted flights to and from Canada at no additional charge.
Features of Safe Visit Visitors Insurance in Canada
The followings are some features of Safe Visit to Visitors Insurance in Canada Insurance:
- $25,000 Accidental Death & Dismemberment.
- Extra $50,000 of coverage for accidents with the $100,000 option.
- Significant savings with family rates.
- Coverage is available up to age 85.
- Your choice of several deductible options, most of which are applied on a per person, per policy basis and not on a per claim basis.
3. Manulife Visitors Insurance
Manulife Visitors Insurance is administrated and underwritten by The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company (Manulife Financial). They offer a 24 hours assistance center.
Manulife offers visitors to Canada an affordable and extensive coverage for medical emergency costs. This insurance offers packages that are suitable for:
- Foreign students studying in Canada
- Foreign workers in Canada.
- Landed immigrants working in Canada
- Returning Canadian expats
- Any other visitors to Canada
Features & Benefits of Manulife Visitor Insurance
A few of the benefits offered by Manulife Visitor to Canada insurance include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Sum insured ranges from $15,000 up to $150,000
- Refund of premium available
- Coverage for hospital, ambulance, accidental dental and other medical costs
- Deductibles can be $0, $75, $500 or $1,000
- Available if you have been in Canada for more than 30 days
4. 21st Century Visitors Insurance
21st Century Visitors Insurance is administered by 21st Century Travel Insurance Limited and underwritten by The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company (Manulife Financial). They offer a 24 hours assistance center.
Features & Benefits 21st Century Visitors Insurance
21st Century Visitors Insurance offers a variety of benefits including:
- Emergency hospital (this is a semi-private room or an intensive care unit)
- Medical appliances (rental of crutches, hospital bed, splints, etc)
- Ambulance transportation
- Emergency air transport (the cost for one way economy airfare to transport you to your country of origin)
- Prescription drugs
However, there are certain criteria that must be met to qualify for the above benefits. Essentially, you are considered not suitable for coverage under this policy if you have been less than two (2) years to live due to a diagnosed terminal illness.
You are also not qualified for coverage under 21st Century Visitors Insurance if you are travelling against the advice of a physician. Equally, being diagnosed or having received treatment within the last two (2) years for the following disqualifies you: pancreatic, lung, brain, or liver cancer; or any type of cancer that has spread from one part or organ of the body to another.
21st Century Visitors insurance provides coverage for up to 30 days within a 365-day period while travelling outside Canada. This is predicated upon the fact that you spend not less than 51% of your time in Canada. During side trips, you must be continuously insured under a 21st Century Visitors to Canada policy to enjoy the coverage.
This insurance policy does not extend to your country of origin. Your coverage will be suspended for the remainder of your side trip if you take a side trip that is longer than is permitted in this policy.
5. TuGo Visitor Insurance
TuGo Visitor Insurance is administered by TuGo Insurance and underwritten by Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services Inc. They offer a 24 hours emergency assistance centre.
TuGo Visitor to Canada Package includes:
- Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption
- A visitor to Canada Emergency Hospital Medical
- 24-Hour Accident
- Air Flight/Common Carrier Accident
The following groups of persons are eligible for TuGo Visitors Insurance coverage:
- A foreign worker, or a visitor to Canada with valid legal status in Canada
- A returning Canadian not eligible for a provincial or territorial government health care plan due to an extended leave
- An immigrant awaiting provincial or territorial government health care coverage
For coverage extensions, you should call an agent or TuGo Insurance before the expiration of your current policy. You may be charged an administration fee in addition to the premium for the additional number of days you require. How the following conditions are a prerequisite:
- No claims have been submitted by you and you have no intention to submit a claim
- You are still within your period of visitors insurance coverage.
- Total trip length should not exceed two years from the effective date of the original insurance policy. If it exceeds two years, the the extension is not available.
- You have not seen a physician or other registered medical practitioner since your departure date or the effective date of the insurance policy.
- You are in good health and you do not know of any reason to seek medical attention
However, an extension may be authorized at the discretion of TuGo even if these conditions have not been met. If an extension has been authorized, there would be no coverage for subsequent claims related directly or indirectly to the condition(s) or symptom(s) for which a claim has been or will be submitted or for which medical treatment was received or required prior to the effective date of the extension.