Ayo Balogun Ibrahim with the stage name Wizkid was born on the 16th, of June 1990 in the Surulere area of Lagos State, Nigeria. He is a Christian by religion although his father is of the Muslim faith.
Arguably, Starboy himself is the most influential and richest musician in Nigeria right now and he’s equally one of the artists in the whole of Africa.
Starboy has numerous hits track and his award cabin is full of awards, medals, and trophies. Last year, Wizkid alongside his compatriot, Davido received one of the highest Music awards in Africa.
Wizkid didn’t just rise to glory over the night, he had to drop out of school to pursue his musical dream. Of course, his dad was against it even though he’ll sneak out to record music in the studio.
Wizkid Musical Career
The Ojuelegba crooner started his music journey at the very tender age of 11 years old. Initially, he was stage named Lil Prinz before he changed it in 2006. The reason is yet to be revealed by the Starboy.
What’s more, in an interview the “Pakurumo” singer did with Hip tv, Starboy revealed that his passion for music started when he listed to some music giants playing.
He enjoyed listening to the likes of king Fela Kuti, King Sunny Ade, Bob Marley, etc., playing.
Specifically, the 31 years old artist dropped out of Lagos State University in 2009 just to pursue his dream. After a few months, regretted his decision and he rolls into Lead City University in Ibadan for the second time.
Unfortunately, his fame and busy schedule didn’t allow him to finish beyond two sessions. He had to drop out again after which he rose to the position of one of the highly sought and most popular artists in Nigeria.
Of course, this was as a result of his first highly celebrated music album titled ‘Superstar’ which was recorded during his spell at the Emperor Mates Entertainment (EME). A record label owned and managed by Banky W.
In 2013, he, however, left EME for his own record label “Starboy Entertainment” for which he signed many artists to his care.
Wizkid Music Awards
Wizkid in 2020, precisely 30th October 2020 dropped his fourth studio album titled Made In Lagos under Starboy Entertainment and RCA records. the Album received all-round applaud making him the winner of the headies 2020 “Artiste of the year”.
The Nigerian artist Ayo Balogun, AKA Wizkid also won his first Grammy awards for the Best Music Video category 2021.
Other award won incudes:
- NAACP Image Awards for Outstanding Duo or Group – 2020
- The Ashford and Simpson songwriters award – 2020
- AFRIMA song of the year – 2019
- MOBO Awards Best International Act won – 2017
- AAMA Awards Artist of the year – 2017
- AAMA Song of the year – 2017
- Ghana music Award – African Artist of the year – 2017
- African Muzik Magazine Awards – Song of the Year – 2016
- African Muzik Magazine Awards – Best Video – 2016
- African Muzik Magazine Awards – Male Artist of the Year – 2016
- 2015 Nigeria Entertainment Awards – Hottest Single of The Year – 2015
- Mobo Awards – Song of The Year – 2015
- The Headies 2015 – Best R&B/Pop Album – 2015
- Channel O Music Video Awards – Most Gifted Duo/Group or Featuring – 2014
- Mobo Awards – Best African Act – “Pull Over” – 2014
- Channel O Music Video Awards – Most Gifted Video of the Year – 2013
- 4Syte TV Music Video Awards – African Artist of the Year – 2013
- Nigeria Entertainment Awards – Musician of the Year (Male) – 2013
- The Future Awards – Music of the year – 2013
- BET Awards 2012 – Best international Act – 2013
- The Headies – Artist of the Year – 2012
- The Headies – Hip Hop World Revelation of the Year – 2012
- Nigeria Entertainment Awards – Best Album of the Year – 2012
- Nigeria Entertainment Awards – Best Pop/R&B Artist of the Year – 2012
- MOBO Awards – Best African Act – 2012
- Dynamix All Youth Awards – Artiste of the Year – 2012
- Nigeria Entertainment Awards – Best New Act of the Year – 2011
- The Headies – Next Rated – 2011
- City People Entertainment Awards – Best New Male Artiste – 2011
- Dynamix All Youth Awards – Promising Artiste of the Year – 2011
Wizkid Endorsement Deals
Ever since Wizkid became a Superstar, he has recorded countless numbers of endorsement deals and he’s served as an ambassador for different companies and brands in Nigeria and the wider world at large.
He has dealt with the likes of Pepsi, CIROC, Guinness, Dolce and Gabbana, MTN, Glo, and many more. In 2018, Wizkid brokered a deal with the Nigeria Football Federation and Nike and the deal was estimated to be $3.75 million.
Wizkid’s Assets And Net worth
Starboy has numerous assets to his name. He once said that he loves buying gold chains because he sees them as an asset.
As if that’s not enough, Wizkid has a mansion that was valued at N13million in Lagos state. In 2018, rumor has it that he bought a mansion worth thousands of dollars in Los Angeles.
However, Wizkid’s assets, monetary value plus his record label “Starboy Entertainment”, awards, shows, endorsements, and others were estimated to worth $12 Million; an amount that is equivalent to N43.2Billion.